Promotor, Frank Warren confirmed in the last few days that Carl Frampton is tipped for a very big fight this Summer after months of speculation that the Jackal was hanging up his gloves after losing his IBF challenge against Josh Warrington last December.
The 31-year-old Belfast born fighter was left devastated after losing to Warrington in what has been described as one of best and most explosive fights in British History. Warren told the media after the fight “I’ve been in this business for years and that is the best fight in a British ring I’ve ever seen. You’ll remember in years to come and say, ‘I was there.’ That was something special.”
Frampton however is not able to enter the ring until after his court case with former promoter Barry McGuigan which is due to take place in May.
World title holders Leo Santa Cruz and Oscar Valdez have both expressed interest in fighting Frampton. Frampton has history with Santa Cruz and this fight could see the trilogy come to an absolute conclusion after Frampton won the first bout and Santa Cruz the second meeting.
Frampton spoke of his delight after being name checked by both Santa Cruz and Valdez. But a Santa Cruz rematch has always been on his mind. He has never quite gotten over the beating in his rematch with Santa Cruz where he lost his WBA Super Featherweight belt after winning it in his previous encounter with him.
WBA champion Santa Cruz retained his WBA title after successfully defending his belt against Rafael Rivera last Saturday. The Mexican fighter told the media after the fight;
“I want to fight any of the champions at featherweight or have a third fight with Carl Frampton
I want to be back this summer and fight three times this year against the best in the division.”
Frampton acknowledged in Sunday Tribune column that if his Summer come back is against Santa Cruz it will probably happen in the US
“If that is to be the fight then I know I will have to travel to the States to face him. I know Santa Cruz has talked about fighting me here, but I don’t believe that for a second and with his dad being sick and having trouble getting a visa it all points to another trip to America.
I think my fans would be up for that because I know how much they enjoyed travelling to New York and Las Vegas for the first two Santa Cruz fights.
The fans and the TV chiefs know that me and Santa Cruz is guaranteed to be an exciting fight and it would get great coverage on both sides of the Atlantic.
The same can be said about WBO champion Valdez, so I’ll just wait and see how talks go with both camps and what opportunity comes my way.”
Yesterday, Warren also discussed the possibility of a potential rematch with Warrington. Warrington secured the IBF title when he beat Lee Selby in May of last year. Frampton was the first to challenge him for the belt and it was confirmed recently that mandatory challenge from Kid Galahad will go ahead this year, but date and venue are yet to be confirmed. So, it remains to be seen when Frampton may get the opportunity to go head to head with Warrington again.
Either way it will be an exciting year for Frampton and his fans!